Thursday, September 13, 2012

Twilight


No post yesterday, sorry. A big nasty headache has been eating away at my resolve to stay human.

On a somewhat ironically related note, I've finally finished the first book in the Twilight series. I've promised countless students and friends, even my mom, that I would read these books. It's been years now and finally I've slogged my way through the first book.

Yes. Slogged. As in trudged my way through a cumbersome tome of mind-snagging implausibilities.

Sorry. Don't hate me, but it was really not as good as it was built up to be. It did pick up toward the end. But you have to just willfully suspend so MUCH logic to get through it.

Anyway, I'll begin New Moon today. Wish me luck. If you like eerie coincidences, it begins on September 13. That's today. As Sheldon Cooper might say, I love it when things work out.

I'm reading these because a local theater is going to show all four movies when the last one comes out next month and my friend wants us to go. It sounds fun, but I refuse to watch movies I haven't read as books--if they were actually books first. So, I have to get reading.

But really. Come on. This stuff passes as great? Barbra Kingsolver, Belva Plame, Toni Morrison, John Irving, Eudora Welty, Maya Angelou, Pearl Cleage. Just off the top of my head, all these are miles and miles, leaps and bounds, better writers. There are so many more.

Not that I'm trying to disparage Stephenie Meyer. I haven't written four bestsellers. My hat's off to her. But the stuff that satiates the masses in this great nation. I really do worry for the American education system.

Oh, I forgot to add this. A friend sent it today and I did, honest to goodness, LOL.

 

Twilight Series


No comments: