Thursday, August 6, 2009

Oye Como Va El Ritmo Del Rio!

What, like, people are READING this stuff? Oh, shit, I guess I better be more careful about what I write. Well, at least the only people reading are the GREATEST ones in the world!

Yes, it's tough at the moment, but we might make it. We're staying in Memphis, which is about an hour from where I'll be teaching. I have an old friend living there. She's Spanish, living with her friend and her boyfriend, so the house is a great place to practice listening skills again, maybe some speaking, eventually.

This is okay for now, and I plan to commute for inservice, but I can't do that when school starts and it's a lot of gas. School starts on the 18th, so I hope to stay in a crappy hotel until Sept. 1. I'll be paid from ETS sometime in the 3rd week of August--the check has to be forwarded here to a p.o. box. Then the first pay from school is August 31. So it will be by the skin of my teeth that I'm able to afford the crappy hotel for a couple of weeks, if I can. The hotel is full now of coal plant workers just like everything else in town. There's a town house opening up Sept. 1 and I'm supposed to have the first crack at that. So, the crappy hotel is overpriced, of course. There are only two hotels in town, too--the crappy one and the just slightly less crappy one.

But today I'm in Memphis, baby! I can't wait unitl I can come back and go to Beal St. and Graceland! Wearing my CCR tape out, too. I took my boy to a children's museum today. It was a lot of fun and I had to drag him out of there. Frederico has set up his Guitar Hero game now, and my boy is trying to Beat It. (Yes, with the newly flooded airways, my boy has become a fan of The Gloved One.)

I'm excited and nervous. There are too many things to be done and no way to do them at the moment. I wish they would let me see the classroom already and give me a list of names, at least, of my students.

Oh, and I got to speak a little Mandarin today at the museum. That was cool. Messes with my brain, though, to try to code swich. I actually still have better Mandarin than Spanish, I think, or maybe it's all this Castillian I'm getting when I was just getting used to the the 'Rican. (My boy just said, "Whoo-hoo, I rock!")

I think I like being here so much at the moment because I don't have to be an American. That seem out of left field? Well, it's not. I've been so homesick for Taiwan these days. I'm burned out on the American thing. I get to be a Spaniard for a few days. Esta bien!

One more thing--another school district called to offer me a position as ESL co-ordinator for the entire district, a new position they've just created, on just my resume and transcripts, no face-to-face interview! I'm too far into this one to back out now, and that one actually pays less anyay, but, um, I'm the shizzle, y'all!

I guess this is a bit scattered, so Oye como va el ritmo!

2 comments:

Rajah Cheech Beldone said...

Memphis?!
I wish you were MY Ma, jeez, Jungle Room every Saturday afternoon and Beale St. after school.
Hey baby, I was goin to post this on fuckin Moronosa, but it's really just for you, so...


Baby let me tell you
It's plain for all to see
You and your new boyfriend
Ain't got no electricity
We'd promenade down Main St.
Make everybody smile
You still look so fine girl
But your boyfriend's got no style

Oh come back to me baby
We'll paint the town red
Oh yeah
We'll knock 'em dead
Uh huh
Come back to me baby
Won't you come back to me

I wanna tell ya
I've got some brothel creepers
And a new Italian suit
I've got an ebony cane
It's real woody
Toot! Toot!
Put on your prettiest dress
And tell old Biff that it was nice
Hey little darlin' I'm taking you out tonight
Uh huh

Come back to me baby
We'll paint the town red
Oh yeah! We'll knock 'em dead
Come back to me baby
Ah can't you see
I want you here with me
I want you here with me

Well
Can't deny that you and I
Didn't have some rocky times
But you know that's all behind us now
Girl please change your mind
He'll always tie you down to
Dinners with the boss
And you deserve so much more
So tell him to get lost
So you can

Come back to me baby
We'll paint the town red
Oh yeah! We'll knock 'em dead
Come back to me baby
Say won't you come back to me
That's what to do
All right!
Hey!
Come back to me baby
We'll paint the town red
We'll knock 'em dead
Uh huh
Come back to me baby
Won't you come back to me
Back to me back to me
Back to me

Momma said...

That's some sweet stuff, Chiefy, but don't you think Mrs. The Chief would object?

It'd be so cool, though, to meet you on Beale sometime! I haven't gotten to Graceland yet, but will be there before, or by, Christmas! WEllah, Uh-Hu!