Saturday, July 4, 2009

Dandy

Today is July 4, my fav holiday. I always feel homesick on this day if I'm away. This year is gonna be kinda lame, I think, but at least I'm here. I've got to jump in the tub and then get to my friend's place for grillin' n grinning. Afterword, we're supposed to go see the fireworks over the dam.

Why is this my fav holiday? You don't have to have family to participate, there's very little consumerism, a steak is great, but a hot dog is fine, and you get to see fireworks--which means you get to be outside at night under the stars until they get blown out of the heavens (or at least obscured by the smoke after the fire works). And my favorite Chinese expression is "fire flowers" which is what they call fireworks in the sky--different than before they're lit. I love the distinction and the lovely, accurate phraseology.

Maybe if I hurry up, I can get my friend to watch my son while I drive 20 miles out of town and buy myself a girl beer. Nah. I'm dreaming. Wouldn't a margarita machine be cool at a cookout, though? She won't go for that either. God Bless America--especially the dry counties!!

No comments: